Tuesday, October 25, 2011

LIST-lessness


I cant sleep. I feel uneasy about something... not quite sure what. Its the worst being exhausted and not being able to fall asleep. I don't actually want to go to bed, which is odd because I love my bed. I don't know where this bed issue came from, so I am camping out on my couch (again) and hoping a 'go to' movie will lull me to sleep. It hasn't so far, so I decided to write a few things down. I think this insomnia was also perpetuated by Pinterest... my brain is racing with decorating ideas and projects!

Projects:
-Refinish bench
-Spray paint porch light & install
-Make Christmas tree skirt
-Make seasonal garland
-Print pictures for frame wall
-Bar stool seat covers

Need to do:
-Tailor
-Organize papers
-Craigslist wine racks and grill
-Dry cleaning


Ok. Now I can hopefully stop thinking about that.


Life has been busy lately. Both in a good and bad way. I am overwhelmed with things. I have a hard time giving my anxieties, fears and worries to God-- which would obviously help me sleep if I could. I dont know where this anxiety comes from, but its nothing new. A lot of it is probably self inflicted. Have I done my part to ward off these worries or have I been procrastinating and lazy? I know having a messy place and long 'To Do' list only makes my life feel more out of control. I am really trying to find the root of this problem because its something I can change and I think it would make me a better person to do so. I need to take control of my mind because "contentment is more of a shift in attitude than a change in circumstances." That quote is from my bible study book 'Calm my Anxious Heart' by Linda Dillow and it has really stuck with me. I am a positive person. I see the stars instead of the mud. So I am rooting around to see what the real issue is. Thats a scary thought, but it's necessary so I can be the best me. More importantly, so I can glorify God in everything I do!


Good reference lists-

Prescription for contentment:
-Never allow yourself to complain about anything - not even the weather
-Never picture yourself in any other circumstances or someplace else
-Never compare your lot with another's
-Never allow yourself to wish this or that has been otherwise
-Never dwell on tomorrow - remember that [tomorrow] is God's, not ours

Practice:
-Choosing to give our anxieties to God
-Choosing to pray specifically
-Choosing to be thankful
-Choosing to dwell on the positive

No comments:

Post a Comment