Monday, November 21, 2011

Decorating for Christmas!

Well, this year I did something that is generally socially unacceptable among most people, myself included. I'm not proud of it, but I put up my Christmas decorations before Thanksgiving. I know... I know... I am hanging my head in shame (sort of). It has been a steadfast rule for many years at the Cesla household that Christmas doesn't start until after giving thanks for our many blessings over a turkey dinner.

However
, since I don't live at home anymore and can make my own rules (although I think I was the one who started that rule, but that's beside the point), I decided it was time for Christmas! I'm sure it was the wine and Love Actually that helped bring this idea to fruition sooner than expected, but if that's so wrong... then I don't want to be right!


First, my 3 foot tree makes me incredibly happy! Now before you go judging me, you can't find REAL trees that small and if I had any room at all in my apartment, I would get a real one. If you choose to have a fake tree, know that I am judging you just a tiny bit... but I'll let you off a little since it's the holidays and I'm nice. :) Nothing beats the smell pine in your living room!

I have approximately 7 real ornaments on it and plastic silver balls from the $1 section at Target. I am working on expanding my collection, but since I like my ornaments to mean something, it's sort of a slow process. It looks a little empty, but it's my little Christmas tree and I love it. Come to think of it, it's very Charlie Brown of me.


Next, my homemade wreath! My previous Christmas wreath found a new home last year with the Grinch who stole it. I hope they are enjoying it. I looked at buying a pre-made one, but the idea of a Sunday afternoon craft project made me feel like a fat kid in a candy store and I couldn't deny myself that kind of happiness. My overwhelming Martha Stewart crafting joy was appropriately paired with a healthy dose of reality after an encounter with a crazy crafter. I think it's safe to say that crazy crafters are the cat ladies of their time. My fears are always realized after said encounters. While it's not my cup of tea, I applaud them. They are blazing their own trail with vigor and glittered vision! Don't let me stand in your way of happiness... mainly because I want to leave Michaels in one piece.


I think the final product turned out simple and classy... just my style. I even found a way to sneak in some plaid... and then all was right with the world! Needless to say, every trash can in my apartment is empty and donation items finally found their way to my car... one by one. I think I fell more in love with it every time I 'had' to go outside. There is so much more satisfaction and love for something when you made it or put it together yourself. Maybe the crazy crafters are on to something.... Nahhh! They are probably just high on hot glue fumes.

Well, now that I have decorated for a holiday that is one holiday away, I am off to pack so I can give Thanksgiving the proper attention!


No comments:

Post a Comment