Monday, August 8, 2011

Table for... one.

It happens. Everyone has experienced heartbreak before, and after you finally survive the sad, wine nights (note: a bottle isn't meant for one person)... reality kicks in. For me, this harsh reality came in the form of meals. I've never had a problem eating alone and while the thought of that is enough to drive some people to starvation, I relish the time. (Puns make me laugh, so yes, that was intended.) However, I don't eat out very often, so that wasn't actually the hard part.

For me, it was 'cooking for one'.

It's scary just typing it! I have always envied people who can cook, so when I finally snagged someone to cook for, I was more than happy to start learning! The hard thing about cooking is that typically recipes are for 6-8+ servings and I was just lucky to need two. After eating casseroles and soups meant to feed an army, I learned the secret of halving. This usually required twice the number of frantic phone calls to my mother (math isnt my strong suit) with a million and one questions. Bless her. However, as Murphy's law would have it, just as I was getting the hang of it... bam! I dont know if it was the Asparagus Pizza or Pizza cups. Maybe I just liked making pizza too much, but whatever it was, my reservations changed from 2 to 1.

I've found that cooking brings me a lot of joy, so I decided I am just going to have to figure out how to tweak it to fit my new needs. Here is my first venture into this endless and delicious journey.


Pasta Sauce Cubes
Here is a great way to store pasta sauce in individual servings, so it won't go to waste when you don't use the whole jar:


First, I bought ice cube trays and my favorite pasta sauce.

Then I filled the trays with the sauce, just as I would to make ice cubes. Cover them with cling wrap and put them in the freezer.

Then, pop them out and put them in a ziplock bag until you have the taste for a little Italiano!

I dont like tons of sauce, so I only use 2 cubes for a little more than 1 cup of pasta. Put them in a bowl and cover. Heat up for 30 seconds, then take a fork and mush them up a bit, recover and heat up again for about 30-45 seconds (depending on your microwave) or until hot. Pour your pasta into the bowl and dinner is ready!


Even better than that, there was also an added bonus to this project. I have a deep love for Mason Jars. What can't you use one for?!? It honestly never ceases to amaze me. Anyways, the Classico sauce I bought came in a cool Mason Jar! I imagine it gracing my table with some fresh flowers the next time friends come over for a little vino.

All I did is run the jar under hot water to loosen up the label and peeled it off. Some of the glue was still on the jar, so I used the other end of my scrubber and scrapped it right off.


Now all I need are some flowers. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment